Procedure of root canal treatment at Minh Khai
Pain relievers can be taken temporarily with side-effect notice to ease severe tooth pain. But it’s important that any severe tooth pain is examined and treated by your dentist as soon as possible.
A root canal treatment usually takes 1 or 2 office visits to complete. There is little to no pain because your dentist will use local anesthesia so you don’t feel the procedure. Once the procedure is complete, you should no longer feel the pain you felt before having it done.
Before treatment begins, your dentist will:
X-ray helps doctors get a clear view of your tooth damage
- Take X-rays to get a clear view of your tooth and the surrounding bone.
- Numb the area around and including your tooth by administering local anesthetic so you are comfortable during the treatment.
- Put a thin sheet of latex rubber called “dental dam” over your tooth to keep it dry, clean and protected from viruses, bacteria and fungus that are normally in the mouth.
During treatment, your dentist will:
Root canal treatment procedure at Minh Khai Dental Clinic
- Create an opening in the top of your tooth.
The endodontist makes an opening in the crown of the tooth
- Remove the tooth’s nerve from inside the tooth and in the areas in the root, known the root canal.
- Clean inside the tooth and each root canal. Very small instruments are used to clean the pulp from the pulp chamber and root canals and to shape the space for filling. Your dentist may treat the tooth with germ-killing medicine.
- Fill the root canals with biocompatible material, usually a rubber-like material called gutta-percha to seal them against future infection. The gutta-percha is placed with an adhesive cement to ensure complete sealing of the root canals.
The root canals are filled with gutta-percha in endodontic treatment
- Then place a temporary filling on the tooth to protect it until a definitive restoration like a permanent filling or crown can be placed at the earliest opportunity.
After root canal treatment:
- Your tooth and the area around it may feel sensitive for a few days. You can talk with your dentist about how to relieve any discomfort you may have.
- Your dentist may prescribe antibiotics if the infection spread. Use as directed, and follow up with your dentist if you have any problems taking it.
You will need a follow-up visit after the root canal treatment. At this visit, your dentist will remove the temporary filling on the tooth and replace it with a regular filling or a crown to protect your tooth from further damage. If the tooth lacks sufficient structure to hold the restoration in place, a metal or plastic post may also be placed in the root canal to help make sure the filling materials remain in place. This helps support a crown if you need one. Ask your dentist or endodontist for more details about the specific restoration planned for your tooth.
A post put inside the tooth helps hold the restoration in place
Benefits of Root Canal Treatment
Root canal treatment is virtually painless and often leaves you with less discomfort during recovery than if you have your natural tooth extracted. Thanks to modern techniques and effective anesthesia, patients who experience root canals are six times more likely to describe it as painless than patients who have a tooth extracted!
When a tooth is removed and not replaced, the teeth around it may shift. This can make biting and chewing difficult and may make it harder to clean your teeth. Areas that are not cleaned well are more likely to get gum disease. Root canal treatment can prevent these problems by saving your natural tooth. Also, root canal treatment is usually less expensive than a replacement tooth.
Tooth loss may cause teeth shift. Endodontic treatment helps save your teeth
A tooth undergoes a root canal or other endodontic treatment will continue to function like any other tooth. Endodontic treatment helps you maintain your natural smile, continue eating the foods you love and limits the need for ongoing dental work. With proper care, most teeth that have had root canal treatment can last a lifetime.
Endodontic treatment is quite complicated, which requires skill and experience of endodontist , as well as support of innovative equipment. Minh Khai Dental Clinic is proud to be qualified to ensure success of endodontic treatment, thanks to professional well-experienced doctor team and all of state-of-art equipment manufactured in the United States and Europe.
Dr. Philippe Guettier – Endodontist – Founder of Minh Khai Dental Clinic
Dr. Philipe Guettier – Endodontist – lectures regularly and has presented in over 250 lectures on cosmetic dentistry and endodontics topics in Congresses and at Dental Schools, before audiences of specialists and general dental groups, in more than 35 countries.
At Minh Khai Dental Clinic, doctor team is regularly trained with updated technique by Dr. Philippe Guettier –known as Minh Khai Dental Clinic founder.
Dr. Philippe Guettier graduated in Medicine at the University of Paris VII in 1984 and specialized in Dentistry at Garancière Paris VII Dental School, in 1988.
Since 1995, Dr Guettier has also been continuously involved as a consultant in the research and development of new endodontic products for leading dental manufacturers. His main interest is the research of innovations to simplify and improve endodontic treatment of general dentists in their day to day practices.
Dr. Philippe was training root canal treatment