Dental implants are an effective way to replace missing teeth. When teeth are lost because of disease or an accident, dental implants may be a good option. You may want to choose dental implants if you:
- Hide your smile because you have missing teeth
- Wear dentures that are uncomfortable
- Are dissatisfied with your removable partial dentures
- Want to keep your other teeth intact
Many people choose implants to replace a single tooth or several teeth or to support a full set of dentures. Implants are posts surgically placed into the upper or lower jawbone. They replace the root of one or more missing teeth
Dental implants are made of titanium (a strong, lightweight metal) and other materials that are well accepted by the body. More than 5 million implants are placed each year by dentists in the United States
Benefits of Dental implant:
- Implants offer firm support to man-made teeth. Dentures, bridges or single teeth attached to the implants won’t slip or shift in your mouth – a very important benefit when eating and speaking.
- This secure fit also helps man-made teeth feel more natural than typical bridges or dentures. Dental implants are so natural-looking and feeling, you may forget you ever lost a tooth. You know that your confidence about your teeth affects how you feel about yourself, both personally and professionally.
- Some people may find implant-supported dentures more comfortable than dentures that do not use implants
- While high-tech in nature, dental implants are actually more tooth-saving than traditional bridgework, since implants do not rely on neighbouring teeth for support.
- Where teeth are missing, dental implants also help keep the jawbone from shrinking
Dental implant plays important role in prevent the jawbone from shrinking
- Implants are a good value, because they can last a lifetime with good care